If you want to conduct research without being tracked by your ISP and/or on an unsecured network, you can research which virtual private network (VPN) to use here.
- Academic information
- Comparison prices
- Comparing prices
- "Using deep web search engines for academic and scholarly research"
- Google Scholar
- search all published academic papers at once
- Founded in late 2010, HowMuchIsIt was designed to help the ordinary consumer find out what the costs of things are in life.
- Scholarly Resource Internet Collections: Biological, Instructional, Visual & Performing arts & more
- Now closed, though the site is still usable. "[A] public service organization and a learning/teaching environment. To date, thousands of students and volunteer library and information science professionals have been involved in answering reference questions (like finding links to the Dutch phone directory)"
- Jokes, etc.
- Legal documents
- This domain was recently acquired by Pool.com
- News stories search engines
- Courtesy of Search Engine Watch
- Russian Search Engines
- Russians abroad - meta search engine
Going to the Source - Many sites offer the ability to search quickly through primary and secondary historical sources. Sites are free.
- The Library of Congress
- scanned items, such as maps, photos and sound recordings, related to U.S. history, culture, politics, and more.
- links to scanned original documents and other historical sources from 24 different European countries and city states.
- Cylinder Preservation and Digitization Project
- over 5,000 digital reproductions of wax-cylinder recordings, including vaudeville acts and Tin Pan Alley tunes.
- The Avalon Project
- historical documents, ranging from the journals of the Continental Congress to the federal indictment of "American Taliban" John Walker Lindh.